"
apathy is harder than it looks
old
<< current
subtlety is a luxury
neal's pizzeria
21.8.02
Tonight it was almost a full moon. The other day, on my way home from camp, I saw a run over no parking sign on the side of the road. I planned on getting it last evening, but I forgot and passed out. Tonight, I was not that foolish. First, my mother made me cough up where I was going and I did. She let me go anyway because of the time when I decided to run 16 miles to the nearby town of bloomfield and back from 11 pm to 1am to cheer up a friend, who by the time I arrived, had been cheered up by one of her neighbors. ANYway I headed out about quarter to 11pm. The moon was shining almost fully so it was the perfect night for theft of city property (what I had in mind anyway) I planned to sneak back through the woods with it to avoid being spotted so I would need lots of light to find my way. on my way out I decided to follow the road (I was wearing (and still am) running shorts) to avoid getting scraped up legs. about halfway up the first road a hissing noise exploded out of the darkness causing me to jump in fright. Looking over in the direction the noise camp from I saw that it was only a sprinkler. I continued on bravely walking the tree lined road. The trees created shadows stretching right out to the curb, ready to grab any unsuspection pedestrian and pull them into oblivion. Just then something jumped away in the dark. My eyes followed it to find it was only a black cat crossing my path (I'm not a supersitious person, but I am fearful). I kept walking. Rounding the bend I could swear I saw a human torso lying out in the middle of the road, glistening in the moonlight. I carefully approached it, ready to jump and flee at a heartbeat's notice until finding it was nothing but the moonlight glaring off the crack filler in the pavement. I hesistantly continued on past a decripit house and out to the sign. It was much heavier than I had imagined. Solid steel most likely. I could tell it would be diffulcult. proceding with caution I made it back down to road to a back of a farm. I waited, hiding in the shadows, until all was quiet and no cars were coming. Swiftly I got up, ran, and threw myself over a ditch and up an embankment leading to the fields. As I ran through the first moonlit field the terrain was fairly flat. The certain kind of grass that was growing didn't cut my legs but it all was soaked with dew. My already oversized sandals were becoming slippery with the moisture. I passed through a treeline to another field with shorter crop, but rougher ground. my feet would slip sideways if I moved to fast. Passing through another tree line I came to an overgrown field, bountiful with stinging neetles, prickly weeds, and brambles. Not only was the vegetation inhospitable, but the terrain was as well. I highsteped, fearing that I might land in a hole and twist my ankle. Once I got out of the field my legs were torn up pretty bad, but I didn't care. I was through the toughest part and was almost home. All I had to do was to get on the road and walk down it to my driveway. However, just a little ways away I tipped of a pair of dogs to my presence, started running and was spotted by the owner of the dogs, who was coming out to yell at them for yelping at nothing. I never looked back until safely down my drive. I have the sign. Sweet night.
00:50
Comments:
Post a Comment